-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Opening statements in Sean Combs trial expected Monday
Opening statements are expected Monday in the federal sex trafficking trial of Sean "Diddy" Combs, the music mogul accused of committing years of chilling abuse.
Combs, 55, has pleaded not guilty on all counts, which include a racketeering charge alleging the hip-hop pioneer was the leader of a sex crime ring that included drug-fueled sex parties by use of force, threats and violence.
The panel of 12 jurors and six alternates responsible for determining Combs's fate are set to be finalized first thing Monday, a process pushed back after Judge Arun Subramanian voiced concern candidates might get "cold feet" over the weekend.
Last week potential jurors were vetted including on their ability to fairly hear evidence from hip-hop artists, sex workers and people involved in the use and distribution of drugs.
The selected jurors will remain anonymous, but not sequestered -- meaning they must individually ensure they stay away from media coverage and social media commentary about the high-profile case.
Combs, who was for decades one of music's powerhouse figures, now appears aged, his once jet-black hair now gray. He is allowed to wear civilian clothing for the trial.
If convicted, the one-time rap producer and global superstar, who is often credited for his role in ushering hip-hop into the mainstream, could spend the rest of his life in prison.
Prosecutors allege he held sex parties -- also known as "freak-offs" -- that were coercive and criminal.
But his defense lawyers say the events were in fact entirely consensual, and simply part of Combs's "swinger" lifestyle.
- Familiarity with the case -
Core to the case against Combs is his relationship with his former girlfriend, singer Casandra "Cassie" Ventura, who is expected to be a key trial witness.
A disturbing surveillance video from 2016 shows Combs physically assaulting Ventura at a hotel.
It is unclear how much of the CNN video will be shown to jurors as evidence -- the footage's quality has been a sticking point between the opposing legal teams -- but Subramanian has ruled that at least some of it will be admissible.
But it has been widely broadcast both in media reports and across social media channels.
Some potentials for the jury told the court they had seen that video. One prospective panelist -- who was dismissed -- described the video as "damning."
Another was sent home after saying that his wife, a former attorney, had told him about taking depositions related to a deadly crowd crush at an event organized by Combs in 1991.
"She found his behavior disturbing, she does not like him," said the man.
But others said they believed they could still assess the evidence fairly despite already having seen the video.
The proceedings are expected to last eight to 10 weeks.
Z.Ramadan--SF-PST