-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
Disney pulls blockbuster from French cinemas in streaming row
Disney will not release blockbuster animation "Strange World" in French cinemas, it said Wednesday, in protest against the country's strict streaming rules.
Under French law, the company's streaming platform, Disney+, would have to wait 17 months to show the movie after its release in cinemas, which had been due in November.
Disney told AFP it would instead send "Strange World" straight to streaming and skip cinemas entirely, confirming reports by movie website Deadline and French paper Les Echos.
Helene Etzi, Disney France president, told Les Echos that France's rules were "unfair, constraining and poorly adapted to audience demands."
"Strange World" is one of its most-anticipated releases of the year, with Jake Gyllenhaal voicing the lead character in the English version of the fantasy adventure tale.
France has tried to prevent streaming platforms from undermining its large cinema network and the TV stations -- notably Canal Plus -- that finance many of its films and get a shorter wait for prime releases.
The National Federation of French Cinemas said it "protested with the greatest vigour against Disney's desire to deprive the French of its Christmas animated film."
The debate over how long to wait between cinema and streaming releases has also been fierce in Hollywood -- though with much shorter delays being considered.
After trying various strategies at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, the US industry has settled on 45 days as the optimum gap.
Scarlett Johansson sued Disney last year for loss of earnings after it released "Black Widow" simultaneously to cinemas and streamers.
Director Denis Villeneuve said the same move by Warner Bros for his sci-fi blockbuster "Dune" showed "absolutely no love for cinema".
Even a 45-day window was reportedly not enough for Tom Cruise, who is rumoured to have launched legal action against Paramount to get a longer delay for his next "Mission: Impossible" instalment next year.
So far, Disney has no plans to pull "Lightyear" from French cinemas -- the "Toy Story" spin-off is due later this month.
But the fate of other massive productions -- including sequels to "Black Panther" and "Avatar" -- rests in the balance.
"We continue to evaluate the situation film by film and country by country," said Disney's Etzi.
V.AbuAwwad--SF-PST