-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
Johnny Depp was to have earned $22.5 mn for 'Pirates' 6: agent
Johnny Depp was to have been paid $22.5 million for a sixth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie but the project was scrapped by Disney after his ex-wife Amber Heard accused him of domestic abuse in a Washington Post op-ed, the actor's agent said Monday.
Jack Whigham, testifying on behalf of Depp at the celebrity couple's high-profile defamation trial in Virginia, said the Post op-ed was "catastrophic" for Depp's Hollywood career.
"After the op-ed it was impossible to get him a studio film," Whigham told the seven-person jury hearing the case in Fairfax County Circuit Court.
Whigham, who has been Depp's agent since 2016, said that a deal had been reached with Disney for the actor to appear as Captain Jack Sparrow in a sixth installment of the lucrative "Pirates" franchise.
"We closed the deal on $22.5 million," he said.
But Disney decided to go in a "different direction" following the December 2018 publication of the op-ed in the Post, Whigham said.
"I successfully made contact with them, but I was not successful in rescuing Pirates for Johnny," he said.
Depp filed a defamation case against Heard over the column she wrote for the Post in which she described herself as a "public figure representing domestic abuse."
The 36-year-old Heard, who had a starring role in "Aquaman," never named the 58-year-old Depp but he sued her for implying he was a domestic abuser and is seeking $50 million in damages.
The Texas-born Heard countersued, asking for $100 million and claiming she suffered "rampant physical violence and abuse" at his hands.
Depp has denied ever being physically abusive towards Heard and has claimed at the trial that she was the one who was frequently violent.
Whigham, under cross-examination by Heard's lawyers, said the agreement with Disney on Depp's compensation for another "Pirates" movie was "verbal" and there was no signed contract.
"There was an understanding of what the deal was going to be," he said.
- 'For his safety' -
Whigham also listed Depp's compensation for a number of other movies he made in 2017.
He said he received $8 million for "City of Lies," $10 million for Murder on the Orient Express" and $13.5 million for "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald."
In 2018, Depp was paid $3.5 million for "The Professor," an independent film, and $1 million for "Waiting for the Barbarians," another indie movie.
In January 2019, he was to have been paid $3 million for a film called "Minamata," the agent said.
"It was very, very difficult to keep Minamata together," Whigham said. "The financing became shaky, the budget had to come down, Johnny's fee came down in order to save the movie."
Also testifying on Monday was Travis McGivern, a member of Depp's security team.
McGivern said he was present for one argument between the couple at their Los Angeles penthouse during which Heard punched Depp in the face, threw a can of Red Bull at him and spit at him.
The bodyguard said he escorted Depp out "for his safety."
"My job is to ensure the safety and well-being of my clients," he said. "It was time to do my job and get him out of there."
Depp filed the defamation complaint in the United States after losing a separate libel case in London in November 2020 that he brought against The Sun for calling him a "wife-beater."
Depp, a three-time Oscar nominee, and Heard met in 2009 on the set of the film "The Rum Diary" and were married in February 2015. Their divorce was finalized two years later.
T.Khatib--SF-PST