-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
US Supreme Court weighs social media 'blocks' by public officials
Can a public official block someone from their personal social media accounts?
The US Supreme Court weighed the matter on Tuesday as it sought to reconcile conflicting rulings from cases handled by lower courts.
The question reached the nation's highest court once previously, when then-president Donald Trump was sued for blocking critics on Twitter, now known as X.
But the case was declared moot by the justices after Trump was banned from Twitter and left the White House.
The cases before the court on Tuesday involved the social media accounts of a city manager in Michigan and school board members in California.
In the Michigan case, a city manager blocked a state resident from his Facebook page.
In California, the school board members blocked a set of parents who repeatedly left critical comments on their Facebook pages.
Arguing on behalf of the city manager, lawyer Victoria Ferres said "this country's 21 million government employees should have the right to talk publicly about their jobs on personal social media accounts like their private sector counterparts."
Hashim Mooppan, representing the California school board members, said "individuals who hold public office are still private citizens too."
"When acting in their personal capacity, they retain their First Amendment rights to decide who can participate in a community discussion that they host at their own property," Mooppan said.
"They are thus free to block users from their personal social media pages, unless they chose to operate those pages in their official capacities instead," he said.
Pamela Karlan, an attorney for the California parents, countered that the Facebook pages were "a tool of governance" and "of the hundreds of posts I found only three were truly non job-related."
- 'First Amendment interests' -
Justice Elena Kagan said the cases present "First Amendment interests on both sides" -- a reference to the constitutional amendment protecting freedom of speech.
"Just as there may be First Amendment interests in protecting the private speech of government employees," Kagan said, "there are also First Amendment interests in enabling citizens to access the important parts of their government.
"That's what makes these cases hard," she said. "It's that there are First Amendment interests all over the place."
References to Trump's Twitter account surfaced repeatedly during Tuesday's oral arguments.
"I don't think a citizen would be able to really understand the Trump presidency, if you will, without any access to all the things that the president said on that account," Kagan said.
"It was an important part of how he wielded his authority," she said. "And to cut a citizen off from that is to cut a citizen off from part of the way that government works."
The Supreme Court is expected to issue its ruling next year.
R.Shaban--SF-PST