-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
'Rock bottom': Australian media lament Wallabies' World Cup 'nightmare'
The Wallabies rugby team was blasted by the Australian media after their record defeat to Wales on Sunday left Eddie Jones' side on the verge of an early World Cup exit.
The two-time world champions crashed to a 40-6 loss to the Welsh on the back of a shock pool defeat to Fiji to leave Australia's hopes of reaching the quarter-finals all but over.
Sunday's result was both Australia's heaviest defeat at a Rugby World Cup and their worst-ever loss to Wales.
Australia, who have one pool game left against Portugal, are set to miss out on the World Cup knock-out stages for the first time in 10 tournaments having only beaten tier-two side Georgia so far in France.
"Rock Bottom: Wallabies worst nightmare comes true," was the verdict of media outlets The Australian and The Daily Telegraph.
The latest loss ramps up the pressure on Australia head coach Eddie Jones after seven defeats in eight games since he took charge in January.
Following the defeat in Lyon, Jones apologised for the result but denied Australian media reports claiming he has been interviewed by the Japan Rugby Union about coaching their team after the World Cup.
Jones has also been heavily criticised for bringing an inexperienced squad to the Rugby World Cup.
"The Eddie Jones experiment can officially be declared a disaster after the Wallabies all but crashed out of the World Cup in record-breaking fashion," rugby reporter Tom Decent wrote in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Several Wallabies stars expressed their dismay at the result.
"Shattered for @Wallabies but congrats to my valley friends," wrote former Australia fly-half Matt Giteau on social media outlet X.
"It didn't have to be like this," Wallabies back Bernard Foley, 34, also posted.
However veteran Wallabies flanker Michael Hooper, who Jones omitted from the World Cup squad because of injury, came to the head coach's defence.
"A lot is going to come on Eddie, and maybe there’s some fairness in that," Hooper told broadcaster Stan Sport.
"But I've been in the camp. No one is up for more hours than Eddie. Eddie is up until 11pm thinking about how to make the Wallabies team better, and he's waking up at 3am answering messages.
"Let's not have a crack at the bloke."
Former New Zealand international and Stan Sport pundit Sonny Bill Williams said he felt for the players and travelling Australian supporters, who left the stadium early in their droves.
"That second half, they looked like a team that just lost belief," said Williams, a double World Cup winner with the All Blacks.
"40-6 was really embarrassing and I feel for these kids. They're going to carry this on for the rest of their careers and feel this until they get to come back here again and rectify it."
M.AlAhmad--SF-PST